Saturday 25 February 2012

Facebook Interview


The Interviewee from this Facebook conversation approached me when I asked my network if anyone is in a long lasting relationship with a large age gap. I do not know this person personally and haven't spoken with her for about 5 years, so consider her a weak-tie within my network. I found this interview extremely insightful, when in a long term relationship most peoples opinions from my Facebook group and surveys so far think that age doesn't matter in a relationship. However my interviewee, although in a happy relationship does notice the age gap, stating that the different becomes 'More of an issue as get older'. From my questionnaires so far people said that age gaps become less of an issue as you get older, it is nice to get someone experiencing an age gaps opinion on the matter against people who are just observing. But generally most of my network, this interviewee included believe 'age was never a major issue - it's as much of an issue as you want to make it'.

Another question that I asked on my Facebook group was: 'When looking at age gaps in relationships, do you feel it is more acceptable for a man or woman to date a partner younger than them?' Most people say that it is more socially acceptable for men to be the older in the relationship, which my interviewee commented on saying 'I also think that in our supposedly liberal society there are still inequalities in how age gaps are handled - more acceptable STILL (!) for older man/younger woman than other way round - I'm not sure how I would evidence that - is just my perception ...'

Image: Print screen from Facebook chat.

No comments:

Post a Comment